Oakleigh Funerals welcomes DSS Clients. Our friendly and helpful staff retains the necessary paperwork and will assist you in completing your application for payment towards the cost of a simple funeral.
The funeral can be conducted before the payment from the DSS is received, so there will be no delay in any funeral arrangements.
The DSS cheque will be sent to our client but is payable to Oakleigh Funerals. When received it should be forwarded to Oakleigh Funerals Ltd.
Contact Ian for more advice and assistance regarding DSS matters.
If you are in receipt of some kinds of benefit the DSS may be able to help towards the cost of a simple funeral from the Social Fund. Some of these benefits are:
- Income Support
- Income-based Job Seekers Allowance
- Housing Benefit
- Council Tax Benefit
- Working Families’ Tax Credit
- Disabled Persons Tax Credit
We recommend that you contact your local Social Security Office to speak to someone about your whether you would qualify for a claim from the Social Fund towards funeral expenses. They can be found in the local phone book under "Benefits Agency".
Any award from the Social Fund could include the following:
- The cost of re-opening a grave or opening a new grave and burial cost
- Crematorium fees
- Doctors fees for Cremation Certificates
- The cost to remove a pacemaker or other implant required to be removed for cremation
- Costs towards documentation to release assets – ie copies of Death Certificates
- Should it be necessary to move the deceased in excess of 50 miles to the Funeral Directors premises – the cost for the part of the journey over 50 miles.
- When the journey to the funeral is in excess of 50 miles – the cost for the transport of coffin and bearers over 50 miles.
- The cost of a return journey for you to either:
- Arrange the funeral, or
- Go to the funeral
- Up to £700 for any other funeral expenses. This includes all other costs in connection with the funeral.
- If you have a bill for an item connected to the funeral but has not been provided by the Funeral Director. This could be for flowers. The DSS may be able to help with this provided the amount paid to the Funeral Director for other funeral expenses is less than £700.
You can download an application form and booklet from the DWP website or collect one from any Social Security office. We have copies in our office and Ian is always happy to help you complete the forms.